Monday, August 24, 2015

Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation Review & Bonus Hack!




While I really love my affordable drugstore products, I also love to try higher end cosmetics. When I started this blog, I knew I wanted to focus heavily on affordable makeup, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to do any posts on expensive products. However, I know that before I buy a high end beauty product, I do as much research as I can before I buy it, it's so important to know what you're buying, especially when it's so expensive! This is why I am going to do a few reviews here and there on my more expensive makeup, because the more information you have before making a big purchase, the better!


Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation

Price: $38 

Claims: Flawless, weightless full coverage for 15 hours. Natural looking, and buildable. Won't oxidize, or irritate sensitive skin. 

Let me begin by telling you that I have owned this product since May, and yes, I still do own the box, and it is in pristine condition. I know this is mildly concerning. That said, since I have owned this foundation for so long, I have had a ton of time to put this to the test, and I am confident in how I feel about this stuff! Before I give you my full review, I'm just going to show a couple pictures, to let this product speak for itself. 


This is my freshly washed face, at 9:00 a.m. Obviously I have acne, and a ton of scars from previous blemishes. On top of that, my face is very pale, so anywhere I get a blemish, my skin becomes extremely red, making it look worse than it is. The sunlight on my face is making my redness look less severe, so take that into consideration. This is just the canvas we're working with, to give you an idea. 


Here, half my face is completely bare. The other half has one layer of ELDW, which was applied with a damp beauty sponge, and Urban Decay naked skin concealer. I want you to know that I literally placed a piece of tape down my face to get an even line, and it looked ridiculous. It felt very weird looking at myself like this! You can see the side with foundation looks overall more even, and my face actually matches my neck.


Here is another photo of the one layer of foundation, with nothing else. As you can see, it doesn't cover every blemish and scar, but I don't find that necessary. If I really wanted to, I could go in with concealer, but I don't want to risk my face becoming cakey- no one can pull off that look, especially me! Here you can see that while I get great coverage out of this foundation, it still doesn't look thick and unnatural looking. There is still life and radiance to the skin. 


This photo was taken after my makeup was freshly applied, around 10 or 11 a.m. In person, you can still see some scars and blemishes, but like I said, I don't see a problem with that. 


This photo was taken after 7 hours. I went to work, and did a little shopping, so nothing strenuous, but honestly, after 7 hours it looks just about the same as it did freshly applied! I do use powder on top of this, and set with a setting spray, but I didn't use a primer, I rarely do. 




Here are swatches of the two shades I have in samples, they are both in the warm category. 1W1 is the shade I own in the full size, but I can sometimes make 1W2 work, if I mix it with a very pale foundation, or if I'm more tan than usual. 




Now on to the review! Let's begin with the dreaded pros and cons list, shall we??

Pros:

* Full coverage
* Isn't thick or heavy
* Withstands anything! Heat, rain, war, you name it, it will last through it. 
* Blends easily, and doesn't set too quickly, so you can work with it. 
*Luxurious packaging. Honestly ladies, you get what you pay for, and you just can't get packaging like this at the drugstore. 
* Wide shade range!! If you have a hard time finding your foundation shade, you can find it in this product.
*Doesn't break me out.
 

Cons:

*No pump *sigh* 
* Expensive
* Glass packaging makes me nervous, because I'm a klutz. 

This foundation is literal perfection if you ask me. I love that I can almost completely cover my blemishes and scars, and still feel fresh faced, and not like I have makeup caked on. I love to mix this with my favorite drugstore foundations, so I can get more coverage, and a better color match for my skin. This foundation is so buildable! It seriously never looks too heavy. Because of this reason, I sometimes get carried away and use a little too much, but that leads me to tell you my Double Wear hack!! *drum roll*



For just 2 dollars, you can stroll over to the Clinique counter and buy yourself a pump for your ELDW foundation! How amazing is that?!


This is a closer look of what the box looks like, so you can see what to ask for. Like I said, it only costs $2, compared to a MAC pump that is $10. This helps me have consistency when applying, so I only use two pumps for my entire face, or one pump when I'm mixing it with another foundation. It's also useful for making sure I don't use too much product, since it's so expensive, I don't want it to run out quickly! This is a more hygienic option for those of you who apply foundation from the bottle with your fingers, but as for me, I always pour it on my hand, so the pump mainly just helps me save product. 


Well this concludes my review! I hope this was helpful for those of you interested in buying Double Wear, or for those of you looking for an affordable pump to put on your foundation bottle! I hope you all have a wonderful week, and if you have an questions or requests, leave them in the comments below! 


-Hayley  











No comments:

Post a Comment