Thursday, July 23, 2015

Packing Makeup For Travel: Tips & Tricks


I've never been a light packer, especially when it comes to makeup! In the past, I've been known to pack half of my collection, then only use about a fourth of what I've brought. This past summer, I've really been working on narrowing down the makeup that I take while traveling. Having a condensed makeup bag has saved me so much time and stress, and I'd like to share my tips with you today.  


First things first, let's cover a few basics!


  • Only bring the bare minimum. Think about the products you use every single day, and bring those. Anything that you don't use everyday can stay at home. 
  • Don't bring anything that you're afraid of losing, unless you really can't go a day without using it. That Naked eyeshadow palette might be beautiful and versatile, but odds are you don't want to spend the money to replace it if it gets lost or stolen! 
  • Bring products that can do multiple tasks, this way you can get away with packing less. 
  • Try to limit your packing of anything bulky, or easily breakable, since these really aren't ideal for traveling. 

These products are tried and true in my collection, I know that I can get a great look under 15 minutes without even trying- which is what I'm going for when I'm traveling! 


This makeup bag is my favorite to store my makeup in when I'm going somewhere, because it's extremely compact! I used to use a massive makeup bag, which just encouraged me to pack more and more makeup. This bag is small enough to help me limit my packing, but just big enough to fit those products I do need to bring. 


Face Products:
  • Primer- Avon MagiX face perfector- Usually I wouldn't bring a primer, but since the foundation I'm packing isn't super long wearing, I'm bringing this along. 
  • Foundation- Almay clear complexion makeup "100 ivory"- While traveling I tend to break out for some odd reason. For this reason, I like to bring along an acne fighting foundation, just to help prevent any breakouts that might occur.
  • Concealer- Almay clear complexion concealer "light 100"; Urban Decay Naked skin concealer "light warm". I bring two concealers, one to cover any scarring or imperfections I have on my face, and another for under the eyes. 
  • Undereye setting powder- NYC Smooth Skin loose face powder
  • Bronzer- Physicians Formula city glow
  • Blush- Mary Kay blush "Shy"
  • Face Powder- Revlon Nearly Naked "010 fair"


Eye Products:
  • Eyeshadow base- Bella Pierre makeup base
  • Eyeshadow palette- Avon eight in one palette "neutral tones" - to me, this is the ideal eyeshadow palette for travel! You have eight shades, in a super sleek, compact package. If you can't find something like this, look for a palette that has at least 4 distinctly different neutral shades, in packaging that has little to no bulk. 
  • Brows- Jordana fabubrow pencil (Okay this name is just ridiculous honestly, but I've been loving this! It's super affordable, and it lasts so much longer than some more expensive brow products- I'm looking at you Anastasia!!) 
  • Mascara- Estee Lauder Sumptuous bold volume mascara- This is just a gift with purchase size, but I love this mascara more than I can say, and to be honest I'm scared that I might buy the full size. I love bringing sample size mascaras because they really help to save space.

Now on to brushes! Just as I have a smaller makeup bag, I also have a small brush bag. In the past, I've used a ginormous makeup artist brush fold, which only encouraged me to pack a ton of brushes. Recently I purchased this small size Sigma Brush fold, so I could not only limit the brushes I take with me, but also travel with them safely. 

As you can see, I only have 6 brushes, which is an extraordinary feat for me! In the zipper pouch, I also carry my Real Techniques makeup sponge, chapstick, tweezers, and a nude lippie. 


The way I am able to keep my brushes to a minimum is bringing double ended brushes. By bringing 3 double ended brushes, essentially I have 6 different brushes, and I'm saving space. 

  • Purple dual ended face brush- I bought this at Ross, and I can't find any similar online :'(
  • ELF blush brush- Funny story, this was an impulse buy at 7-11. Who knew they sold ELF there right?? This brush is an amazing multi-tasker, I can use it for just about anything 
  • Ulta blush brush- I use this for buffing in my face powder, it works beautifully.
  • ELF small tapered brush- HG for setting under the eyes!! I use this everyday.
  • Ecotools dual ended eyeshadow brush- this comes in a set, which you can buy at any drugstore. I love the pencil brush end of this, it's great for blending.
  • L.A. Splash dual ended eye brush- This has an angled eyeliner brush,and a blending brush. Kind of an odd duo, but they're great quality so I'm not complaining. 


Obviously the small brush fold really limits the brushes I can bring, not only in amount, but in the size! A lot of brushes I own don't fit in this small fold, but if it was absolutely necessary, I could just throw any brushes that wouldn't fit into my makeup bag. 


Well that brings this to a close! I hope some of my tips were helpful, and that you can utilize some of them if you have any traveling to do! 

Please feel free to leave any requests below if you have them! Have a wonderful weekend :)

-Hayley







No comments:

Post a Comment