Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Top 5 makeup products under $5




As much as I love delving into higher end brands, there will always be a special place in my heart for affordable, drugstore cosmetics! There is just something about walking into a drugstore and finding an amazing product, with an even more amazing price tag. Today I want to share my top 5 makeup products under $5. Since this is my first blog post, I chose this topic, because I thought it would be easy. Surprisingly though, it was hard to narrow down! I'm pretty confident that I've chosen my all time favorite products, but I might end up following this up with even more products later on. 

1) Wet n Wild 8 pan eyeshadow palette- "Comfort Zone" $4.99



Excuse the messy packaging, this palette and I just celebrated our first year anniversary, so it's received a lot of love! Last year was when I really began investing in my makeup collection, and this was one of my very first purchases. Although this is inexpensive, it's amazing quality. All the swatches you're seeing in this photo are one pass of the shadow, I didn't have to build up the colors at all. 

Now just because an eyeshadow is pigmented doesn't mean it's good. I've had pigmented eyeshadows that take ages to blend, or blend into a muddy mess on the eye. These go on beautifully and with ease, you don't have to have to spend forever blending, and the end result is always effortlessly achieved and pretty. 

This palette runs for $4.99 and you get 8 quality, neutral, everyday shades- a great value if you ask me!


2) Jordana lipliners- $2.50 


Names of swatches from left to right- "Tawny", "Sedona Red", "Rock 'n' Rose", and "Cabernet" 


 Jordana is a brand found at Walgreens, they are owned by the owners of Milani and Urban Decay, and they have a lot of similar products of the same quality, just at lower prices. These lip liners are so pigmented and easy to use, I want to buy every shade! Now the reason I love these so much is only partly because they're so inexpensive, they're also incredibly easy to use. I tend to throw lip liners in my purse, so the classic pencil is not my cup of tea. When I'm on the go, I really don't want to be carrying a pencil sharpener too. These twist up, so you never have to sharpen, and they're very small and precise, so you can always get a straight, even lip line. Why would you even consider paying more for a high end lip liner when these are so good?


3) L.A. Girl HD pro conceal- $2.50-$5.00


Now here we have the holiest of grails- the L.A. Girl concealers! These are so good, but so, so hard to find. If you live near Grapevine, TX, there is a store called wax accessories in the Grapevine Mills mall that sells L.A. Girl, and a lot more affordable cosmetics. If you can't find any stores that sell it, you can buy it online here.

These concealers are raved and raved about, and for good reason. These cover incredibly well, while still feeling lightweight, and not cakey. I reach for this over some of my higher end concealers, and I paid $4 for this! 


4) Jordana 12 hour made to last eyeshadow pencil- "eternal white" $3.99


Anyone who has ever worked with bright eyeshadow will tell you that a white eyeshadow pencil is a must. I love this one because it's cheaper than even some other drugstore versions, and it really does last forever! When I first bought these shadow pencils, I bought 2 bright colors- a purple and a green. I swatched them before going to bed, and forgot to take them off. When I woke up, the swatches were still perfect, and hadn't budged all night! The quality of these are just amazing, and for the price you can't go wrong. 
FYI, since Jordana is owned by the same company that owns Urban Decay, a lot of these pencils are dupes for UD colors. 


5) Wet n Wild coloricon contouring palette- "Dulce de leche" $3.99


This little palette is such a gem! I have both the shades this comes in-"Dulce de Leche", and "Caramel Toffee", I didn't picture caramel toffee here because it's not my favorite of the two. I prefer this one for the beautiful "banana" shade! The contour shades in both of these are very light, dulce de leche contains a warmer shade, and caramel toffee is cooler-definitely more suited for contouring. These contour shades would really only work for very light skintones, since they're so light. 

I love this palette because it simplifies the contouring concept. A lot of times, companies come out with contouring palettes containing a lot of different colors, which can be overwhelming. This has two basic shades, so there's no guess work involved. 

These powders are very soft, and the highlighting shade is perfect for setting the undereye. 



Well, we've reached the end! I love buying and sharing affordable cosmetics, so I will definitely do more posts in the future along the same lines. Thank you for reading my first post, and feel free to leave any requests for things you'd like to read in the comments! 

6 comments:

  1. I'll have to go get me one of those eyeshadow pencils! I love that you're doing this! Keep it coming girl, I'll be waiting for the next post(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Jacqueline!!! Your sweet comment seriously just made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you're a natural at this!!! an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hannah, you're so sweet, especially considering you were such an inspiration for me to start blogging!

      Delete
  4. Hey where do you buy the wet n wild contour?? Several of the women I subscribe to on YouTube love that thing but I can never find it in store!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's exclusive to Walmart! That's where I picked up mine.

      Delete